2018 Young Professionals Workshop
The Young Professionals Workshop (complimentary for all YP Full Delegate Conference Registrations - register for conference here) will focus on the tender/procurement process. The workshop will be held on Wednesday, 1st August 2018 at the Claudlands Event Centre in Hamilton. Places are complimentary and are open to any YP Full Delegate Conference Registrant who is a Member to either ACENZ or CCNZ.
- 9:00-9:30am - Arrival tea and coffee
- 9:30-10:15 (45 minutes) - Tender/Procurement 101 - an overview
- 10:15-11:00 (45 minutes) - Client Perspectives - Procurement from the other side
- 11:00-11:30 (30 minutes) - Morning tea
- 11:30-12:00 (30 minutes) - Experience Speaks Volumes - How to win the "big" jobs
- 12:00-12:45 (45 minutes) - Business Development Expert
- 12:45-1:15 (30 minutes) - Lunch
- 1:15-2:15 (1 hour) - Team time - pre-assigned YP teams will work together to prepare a mock tender/bid presentation
- 2:15-2:45 (30 minutes) - Afternoon tea (or teams can choose to continue working)
- 2:45-3:45 (1 hour) - Team presentations (each team has 5-10 minutes to present their mock bid)
- 4:00-4:15 - Bus pick-up from Claudlands Event Centre to all conference hotels
The day’s activities takes you from start to finish with a 101 overview of the more common tender/bid and procurement practices in New Zealand. From there we’ll hear from one of the larger clients to gain perspectives on what’s important to the other side. What does the client think of when they are working through the bid and procurement process. Taking a break for morning tea, this is the first opportunity for our YPs to learn who they will be on teams with for the afternoon’s session. After morning tea, we’ll hear from a well experienced consulting engineer who will share insights from his/her seasoned career and what may have led to their success winning the “big” jobs. Before breaking for lunch, we’ve got a business development expert lined up to help YPs develop the skills which will help their professional growth and development. Take a short break for lunch, where teams can choose to prep a little or just relax and take a break.
Moving into the afternoon sessions, our teams will have an hour to come together to plan and practice their mock tender/bid presentations they will soon be making. Background information and mock scenarios will be provided to help each team formulate their strategy and process in their own presentations. Taking a short break for afternoon tea, this is the last opportunity for teams to squeeze in a few more minutes of prep time or to relax before making their presentations. Finally, all the teams will make short presentations (between 5-10 minutes) on their mock-bid/tender scenario. The entire day will be wrapped up no later than 4:00pm so that attendees can catch the conference bus back to each of the conference hotels.
Space is very limited, so priority will be given to Young Professional Full Delegate Conference Registrants. This is a good opportunity for YPs to gain a new skill and perspective that is so prominent in the consulting engineering business. This workshop is complimentary to any YP Full Delegate Conference Registrant (either ACENZ or CCNZ Member) and places will be given on a first registered, first secured basis. Any questions on this programme can be sent to Holly Morchat Stanko at [email protected].