- MEMBER LOG-IN
Insight into a Tikanga Māori approach to creating future-ready and resilient cities
Aurecon, Level 3, 185 Fanshawe Street, Auckland - July 29, 2021 at 3:30pm - 6pm
Aurecon, Level 3, 185 Fanshawe Street, Auckland
This event is sold out
Aotearoa New Zealand is a bicultural nation, and our city and infrastructure design must reflect that.
As city designers, we need to build for future generations. “Mō tātou, ā, mō kā uri ā muri ake nei”, an intergenerational whakataukī, “For us and our children after us”. Building this way fits very naturally with a Māori world view around whanaungatanga and kaitiakitanga.
How do we collaborate with Māori architects, artists, contractors, designers, and the community to ensure that our infrastructure and buildings really reflect our cultural narrative and identity? Te Ao Māori, where the Wairua, wellbeing of people and Te Taio, the natural world are inextricable, can provide a valuable lens through which we can make decisions around our Āhuarangi, climate response.
Come and listen to our panellists, taumata kōrero on:
- Understanding the natural alignment between sustainable building and a Te Ao Māori world view
- Gain a deeper understanding of the Tikanga Māori integral role in responding to the climate challenge
- Hear how we can leverage this and Mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge) to ensure we create a resilient society, economy, and environment for generations to come
The event kaiwhakataki are Chantelle Bailey and Erana Kingi from Aurecon who will facilitate the taumata kōrero and panel discussion drawing on their diverse Māori experience and their whakaaro, opinions.
- Troy Brockbank, Pou Ārahi Māori - Māori Advisory Lead, PDP
- Jade Kake, Architectural and Urban Designer, Matakohe Architecture and Urbanism
- Tyrone Newson, Development Manager, Kiwi Property
- Rau Hoskins, Owner and Director, Design Tribe Architects
Nau mai, Haere mai. Ngā mihi nui to our event partners Aurecon for hosting and contributing to making this event happen.
This event is in partnership with The Diversity Agenda.
The event will not be recorded at this time.
Registration has closed as we're at maximum capacity for the event. If you've registered but are now no longer able to go, please let us know.
Complete this form if you'd like us to add you to a waitlist.