2015 Innovate Awards winners
Gold award winners
Lower Hatea River Crossing Whangarei - Novare Design for Whangarei District Council
The Lower Hatea River Crossing is an example of outstanding civil construction, as it demonstrates that functionality and aesthetics need not be mutually exclusive. Road bridges are typically built to a cheap design solution, yet the LHRC shows that transport infrastructure can be both practical and striking – and with lateral thinking – economical. The Transfield Services/McConnell Dowell JV was able to achieve this with their bascule bridge modelled on the traditional Maori Fish Hook Hei Matau – representing strength, good luck and safe travel over water. The bridges form reflects its function as the ‘fish hook’ (J beams), which is cantilevered and rolls back to raise the bridge deck.
Counties Manukau District Health Board - Harley Gray Building Auckland - Beca for Counties Manukau District Health Board
The Harley Gray Building is a $124 million 34,000sqm, five-storey development that forms the new heart of Middlemore Hospital. This complex building provides 14 new operating theatre suites and all associated clinical services all designed to the highest possible standards and providing space for future expansion. The very operationally and energy efficient result was achieved through close involvement and input of Counties Manukau District Hospital (CMDH) Clinical Staff and Hospital Engineering Operation and Services staff in the consultant team with Beca who provided design and construction monitoring for HVAC, Medical Gases, Electrical and Fire Protection Services and Fire Engineering.
Clyde Quay Wharf Wellington - Dunning Thornton for Willis Bond & Co.
The Clyde Quay Wharf project was an exciting and challenging project that converted a 100-year-old, decaying and earthquake-prone wharf into a stunning and high-value premium apartment complex with vastly improved public access space. Located in an iconic and prominent position on Wellington harbour, visible from much of Central Wellington, the project was always going to be subject to close public scrutiny. The results have been outstanding in terms of public reaction, values achieved for the apartments, and the technical success of a submerged car park without a single leak.
Silver award winners
- Waikato Expressway Huntly Section by Bloxam Burnett Olliver and Tonkin + Taylor
- Cashin Quay 1 Earthquake Repair by Opus International Consultants
- University of Auckland Chemistry Undergraduate Teaching Laboratories by Beca
- Ara Tūhono - Pūhoi to Wellsford – Pūhoi to Warkworth Planning Phase by Jacobs, GHD, NZTA, and Chapman Tripp
- PNCC Digester Upgrade by Calibre Consulting
- Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative by Opus International Consultants and Beca
- Esk River Hydro Power by Jacobs
Merit award winners
- Project Rimu by Beca
- Haven Road Substation by Jacobs
- Knox Church Rebuild by Aurecon
- Victoria University of Wellington Campus Hub by Beca
- Trimble Navigation’s Office by Opus International Consultants
- Hagley Oval Pavilion by Cosgroves
- Point Resolution Bridge by Novare Design
Read the 2015 Innovate Awards magazine